Mossy Bank Park Nature Center would like to invite you to share your outdoor based photographs in the 2019 Nature Photography Contest.
This is an opportunity for both professional and amateur photographers to show images to the general public, as well as fellow photographers, at a Gallery Display and Awards ceremony held on July 20, 2019. Each age division has the same 5 categories. Photographer declares the category for each entry.
Nature/Outdoor Based Categories:
- Scenic nature views
- Animals, Flowers, Insects, etc.
- People in outdoor activities/settings. (Waterskiing, Rock climbing, People Portraiture (with obvious outdoor background), etc.)
- Nature based within 2 hours of Bath, NY. (Watkins Glen, Mossy Bank Park, Pennsylvania Grand Canyon, The Chemung River, the Finger Lakes, etc.)
- Images that have been significantly altered from the original. Including Infrared,
HDR, panoramic and added content not found in the original image. (Adding a bear to a mountain stream, a
unicorn on a hilltop, a puffy cloud blue sky added to a previous stormy sky, etc.) This does not include minor
digital adjustments of color, brightness, contrast, etc. If you have specific question, please email us.
: 17 or Younger
: 18 or Older
- Official entry forms must be completed and secured to the back of each entry.
- If an artist submits more than one entry, a separate entry form must be completed for each entry.
MOSSY BANK PHOTOGRAPHY CONTEST – DETAILS
- Each Artist can submit up to 3 unique images
○ Can be in the same or separate categories
- There is no entry fee
- All entries, at a minimum, must be mounted prints (preferably matted)
○ Recommended that all entries be protected in plastic sleeves
○ Unmounted or digital prints will not be entered into the contest
○ Framed prints will be accepted. Artists enters frame/glass at own risk.
○ See tips sheet for help with mounting techniques
- Acceptable Print Sizes:
○ Minimum: 5x7
○ Maximum: 13x19
○ Matted dimensions can be larger
- Each individual image must have a fully completed entry form secured to the BACK SIDE of the submission. Entries with no entry form will not be entered into the contest.
- Entries can be dropped off at the locations, dates and times listed below.
- All submissions shall be picked up by the artist at the awards ceremony
- Mossy Bank Park will handle all submissions with the utmost care. However, all materials and images submitted are at the owner’s risk
DATES, TIMES & DROP OFF LOCATIONS:
- Entry Drop Offs:
○ BATH, NY @ Bath Public Library (library hours): Wed. July 10th – Wed. July 17th
○ ELMIRA, NY @ Steele Memorial Library: Wed. July 10th 3pm – 7pm
○ WELLSVILLE, NY @ David A. Howell Library: Thurs. July 11th 4pm – 7pm
○ WELLSBORO, PA @ Gmeiner Arts Center: Wed. July 17th 2pm - 5pm
○ (check back for additional locations)
- Awards Ceremony and Gallery Display:
○ Saturday July 20th @ Mossy Bank Park Nature Center
■ 10am: Gallery Display Opens
■ 11am: Awards Ceremony Begins
■ 12pm: Images can be picked up after close of awards ceremony
■ 1pm: Display Closes
○ Need not be present to win. Contact information must be provided on entry form.
○ Images remaining after awards ceremony shall become the property of Mossy Bank Park unless arrangements are made prior to the day of the ceremony.
JUDGING and AWARDS:
- 20 Awards in total - 1st Place and 2nd Place Awards for Each Category in Each Division
- All Images will be evaluated for Quality, Photographic Skill and Overall Impact (“Wow Factor”)
- Panel of Three Highly Qualified Judges
○ Blind Judging (Judges will not see names of the photographers- only an ID Number)
○ Each image is scored by each judge independently – total scores are calculated
○ Tie breaks are decided by discussion and re-evaluation by all three judges
Send questions to the contest email. Watch Facebook and Instagram for contest updates.
MBP Photography Contest
Downloadable PDF with details and entry form
The “Fine Print” at the End of Every Photography Contest:
Artist grants permission for contest organizers to reproduce his/her name, information describing his/her work, representations of his/her work and any other information he/she has provided for the purpose of display, promotion and publicity either now or in the future.
If Artist is not available on-site the day of the award ceremony to pack or transport his/her work, he/she gives permission to the exhibit organizers to do so on his/her behalf at his/her own risk and expense. Works left after 1pm on the day of the ceremony, without prior arrangements, become the property of Mossy Bank Nature Center.
The Mossy Bank Nature Center nor the contest administrators shall not be liable for any injury to Artist, or for any damage or loss of Artist’s work, arising out of the above photography contest, the mounting and/or any other activities involved in the preparation and/or presentation of the photography contest. Artist agrees to assume all risk of damage to or loss of his/her own art from whatever cause. Artist further agrees to release and to hold harmless Mossy Bank Park sponsors, its officers, directors, volunteers and agents from any and all liabilities and damages to artwork and/or persons as a result of any part of Artist’s participation in the contest.
Artist shall indemnify, save and hold harmless the Mossy Bank Nature Center, the contest administrators, volunteers, agents and the participating exhibition venues from any and all claims, demands, causes of action and judgments, losses, costs and expenses, including but not limited to reasonable attorney’s fees, arising due to the negligence of Artist, or other personnel hereunder, including but not limited to any representation, warranty, term and/or condition of this Agreement.
Artist shall be solely and exclusively responsible to insure properly and adequately their work and property.